January 25, 2010

BABY STEP 24 - How dry I am... (Jan 24)

“Keep your head above water.” (Proverb)
This proverb refers to a flood of water, but I don’t usually encounter floods. I live in Utah, a desert state, so I’m more likely to experience drought conditions.
In our personal lives, we can also experience drought conditions. The majority of us don’t get enough water.
Just for kicks, pay attention to your body right now. Are your lips or mouth dry? How about your hands? Do you (like me) use tons of moisturizer only to still have dry hands?
Up to 60% of our bodies are composed of water. Up to 60 percent of the human body is water. Our lungs are nearly 90% water. And our brain is nearly 70% water. That’s incredible.
So what happens if we don’t get enough water?
Let’s see. Does your brain ever get foggy or slow working? I wonder if a glass of water would help.
I read a book by a guy who called himself Dr. Batman (because his name was way too long to comprehend) titled Your Body’s Many Cries For Water. He explores how we drink far too little water, for many reasons. I’ll be exploring those reasons over the next few days.
Today, just think about adding a glass of water to your daily routine. Just one extra. (Unless you’re already drinking eight. You’re not? I didn’t think so.) Later we can work on adding more.
If you notice your mouth is dry, drink a glass of water. If you feel really hungry, drink a glass of water; apparently our body’s signal for thirst can mimic that for hunger.
Let’s get fully hydrated. Let’s begin, one drop at a time.
And soon, we will be swimming in health.

© Copyright 2010 Heather Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment