January 25, 2010

BABY STEP 23 - Financial Peace (Jan 23)

“Financial peace isn't the acquisition of stuff. It's learning to live on less than you make, so you can give money back and have money to invest. You can't win until you do this.” (Dave Ramsey)
Three years go, my husband and I were struggling with finances. Then we met Dave Ramsey. Not personally, but in his books and a course we took. His book, Total Money Makeover, totally changed our lives. I highly recommend it.
The pivotal moment came when I said I was responsible for the financial place we were at. I know my husband contributed, of course he did. One of my good friends actually got angry on my behalf because I wouldn’t say my husband was responsible. And in one way, I agreed with her: We had both, together, made unwise choices, choices that the majority of Americans make. We were in debt, we lived paycheck to paycheck, we feared any kind of emergency situation.
But I had a major epiphany. I realized that, though it seemed backward, if I had the power to create financial lack, then I also had the power to create financial wealth. I’m not there yet, but we are out of debt except for our house, and it feels fantastic. Taking responsibility gave me the power to make the changes I needed to make.
So today I take responsibility for my body. It has its flaws, but overall it’s a good body, strong and healthy.
And, since I had the power to put some excess weight on my body, I also have the power to take it off.
Let’s pretend, today, that we’re actors and actresses preparing for another hit movie. For our last movie, we had to gain fifty pounds. Now, for our next starring role, we’re working to take those fifty pounds off. The payoff’s huge. Close your eyes. See yourself in that starring role. And smile. We’re going to find peace in our physical realm, just as I did on my financial realm.
Peace out.

© Copyright 2010 Heather Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment