January 6, 2010

BABY STEP 06 - Just Numbers (Jan 6)

"I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number you get in a diamond.” (Mae West)
Whoever invented bathroom scales should be shot. And doctor scales? That person should be boiled in oil and then shot.
During the first eighteen years of my life, I watched my mother step on the scales three or four times a day--and her mood for the next few hours depended on the most recent number and how it related to the number from a few hours before.
I got caught up in this craziness for a brief period, but now I am totally liberated. I rarely weigh. I don't need to. I can tell because of the size clothes I wear and I have a pretty good idea of the weight on my body without a reminder.
It felt weird the first time a nurse asked me to step on the scales--and I said "No, thanks, I'd rather not.” She was flustered and confused (I guess not many people decline) but I've done it ever since and it's great. What are they going to do--force me on? I realized I didn't feel like being depressed that day--and those numbers still had the power to depress me. And if I happen to be overweight (which I still am at this moment), I'd much rather be overweight and happy than overweight and depressed.
So set aside your scales for awhile. If you absolutely need to weigh in, do it now so you can see where you're at, your “before” weight. Then don't weight more often than once a week. Later we’ll start weighing more often, but with a purpose, and it will be a positive thing. But for now, why depress yourself?
There are more important numbers to focus on--your child's test score, your husband's blood pressure, the number of people you need to feed for dinner tonight, a child’s fever, how many days you’ve persevered toward a dream and haven’t reached it--yet!
Your days are numbered. From now on, if you feel the need to count something, forget the numbers on your scale--and go straight to your blessings.

© 2010 Heather Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment