January 7, 2010

BABY STEP 07 - All or Nothing? (Jan 7)

If you've dieted even once, I'm sure you've already experienced the all-or-nothing phenomenon. You start the day (whether it's Day One or Day Thirty-One) with good intentions. Good breakfast. Healthy light snack. Good lunch. And then, around 2:00 in the afternoon, you can't take it any more, and you go grab a candy bar.
So far you're still okay. A candy bar is not a great choice, but if you shrugged and finished off the rest of the day as you did the first half, you'd be all right. But you don't shrug. You say something to the effect of "I've ruined my diet anyway, so it doesn't matter if I eat anything else. It's already ruined. I'll start back on my diet tomorrow.”
Then, for the rest of the day, you binge.
And it's really hard to start again "tomorrow.”
So this time through, whether it's exercise or water or eating or whatever, we need to learn to shrug and pick back up where you were. Don't try to overdo in an attempt to "make up" your mistake. We can’t make it up. We can just shrug it off and get back on our path. Just start again, right that very minute--don't wait for "tomorrow" because today is the only day we have.
The truth is that if we won't do it today, we likely won't do it tomorrow, either.
That "tomorrow" fib is as bad as the "I'll just set this here for now" that clutters up my house.
Let's lose the clutter of our fibs. Let's get down to the truth. We're humans. We make mistakes.
Shrug and let your mistake go.

© 2010 Heather Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment