January 18, 2010

BABY STEP 16 - 2000 Steps (Jan 16)

You may have to be sitting down for this. In Dr. James Hill’s study that indicates women ages 18-50 take an average of 5000 steps per day, there was another interesting statistic: The overweight people took 1500-2000 steps less than the more slender study participants.
Shocker, right? Did you fall off your chair in shock? (Nah, me, neither.)
“Think about that for a moment--only 2,000 extra steps a day can make the difference between being overweight and being slim!” (Paul McKenna, PhD, I Can Make You Thin)
And wait for tomorrow’s statistic. It’s even better. But, wait, I’m getting ahead of myself.
For today, just let it sink in that two thousand extra steps could make the difference between being overweight and losing your excess weight. Too simple? Why don’t we find out? This year is a sort of experiment, figuring out the best ways to lose weight the easiest.
My baby step for today was to order a pedometer online. I found the three top-rated pedometers at Consumer Search (http://www.consumersearch.com/pedometers) and chose the Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer.
I’m going to find out how many steps I actually physically take in a day. I think I may well be surprised at the number. That’ll be my ‘baseline’ number. I challenge each of you to go find a good deal on a pedometer, too. Let’s find out how we stack up against the average.
I know we are women who are far above average, but perhaps our steps won’t reflect that. Yet.
So step out in faith. We’re gonna get slender this year. We’re gonna lose excess weight (and keep it off). And this time, it’s for real.

© Copyright 2010 Heather Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment