January 5, 2010

BABY STEP 04 - As a man thinketh (Jan 4)

“All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts.” James Allen (As A Man Thinketh)
I’ve pondered this for a couple of years now, as I’ve lost twenty-five pounds and put half of that back on, and here is the result of my mental rambling (this also will prove to be the skeleton of what I plan to do this year).
When people talk about losing weight, they usually focus on two things: exercising more and eating less. And we can live for longer without exercise than without food, so I’m putting them in this order of importance: Food. Exercise.
And, yes, these two things are very important. But the more I’ve thought about it, I’ve realized there are some other things that are even more important.
We can go without food for weeks, but only a few days without water. Water. Food. Exercise.
We can survive for just scant moments without oxygen. And, since I’m interpreting oxygen as breathing deeply, either with a yoga-type relaxation or with exercise, I’ll switch the positions again: Oxygen / Exercise (or moving our bodies). Water. Food.
As I pondered this, I had the quote come into my mind: “As a man thinketh, so is he.” (Apparently it’s a oft-misquoted verse, Proverbs 23:7.) I do believe everything is conceived in thought or spirit first, and then manifests in our outward lives. So our thoughts are more important than, or at least come first before, our actions.
Thoughts. Oxygen. Water/Moving our bodies. Food.
And then I realized that I have tons of baggage that keeps me “safely” in the overweight zone. Just like when my son brought to my attention that I was being effective with my weight loss and toning up program, and my subconscious took over and “helped” me regain the weight and lose the toned ab muscles. So our subconscious thoughts--the ones we’re not even aware of--have ultimate control.
Subconscious thoughts. Thoughts. Oxygen/Moving our bodies. Water. Food.
Well, that “thought” is enough to make us want to quit right there. If our subconscious thoughts, the ones we aren’t even aware of, are in charge, what’s the point? Okay, that’s where our prayer comes in, because God does know and can help us become aware of them, can guide us to healing. Christ’s Atonement isn’t just for allowing us to repent, it’s to provide for our healing. So, all year long, let’s pray our magic prayer: “Please help me know what I need to KNOW AND CHANGE ABOUT MYSELF in order for me to lose my excess weight, once and for all, and get ever more vibrant health.”
This year is about healing. Healing our relationship with food. Seeking healing for ourselves, which we can’t do without heavenly help. Healing our bodies so they are the perfect weight (which may not be the weight of a Hollywood actress or anorexic supermodel).
Prayer.
Subconscious thoughts.
Thoughts.
Oxygen / Moving our bodies.
Water.
Food.
And, now that I’ve given you this overview, all you have to do is think about it. As Scarlett O’Hara said: “Tomorrow’s another day.” And tomorrow we will think about it a little more.
Little tiny baby steps. We’re actually taking them right now, though it may not feel like it, because we’re shifting our thoughts. So say your prayer and open your mind to the possibilities.

© 2010 Heather Horrocks

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you figured out what seems to be most important, or at least "first", and re-ordered your thoughts on it. Very cool, worth giving some thought to. :) (Like you, I found FlyLady to be a huge help and have become a fan of any plan having baby steps!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Man Thinketh is a great inspirational book. You and your readers might enjoy James Allen's other writings. You can view them all here: www.jamesallenlibrary.com for free!

    ReplyDelete