February 1, 2010

BABY STEP 30 - Add chocolate to your list. (Jan 30)

“Make a list of important things to do today. At the top of your list, put "eat chocolate." Now, you'll get at least one thing done today.” (Gina Hayes)
I bet that’s not what you expected to read today, is it? I think today will be a piece of heaven. Find a piece of chocolate. Your favorite kind. Make it a delicious piece, and enjoy every second as it melts in our mouths (if we can keep from chomping it).
Yesterday, I ate too much sugar. You know those days, when you start and then keep going and can’t seem to stop? Coincidentally enough, by the end of the day I felt crappy. Do you suppose there’s a correlation between the two events? Perhaps even a direct correlation?
Does that mean I should cut back on sugar? Eep!
Okay, okay. I do want to give up sugar except on special occasions. I know I feel better when I don’t eat it.
I spent several years researching different diet plans to see what they agreed on and disagreed on (is salt good for you? bad for you? etc). The only thing they all seemed to agree on was to drink sufficient water (have you had your extra glass today?) and to give up sugar. I kept searching, I guess for that one elusive plan that would say sugar is good. But I never found it. Drat it all.
So today, let’s put several things on our list, chocolate included. Write a list of things you feel you wish you could give up (like sugar, soft drinks, cigarettes) or would like to add (water, exercise, service). Then choose just one of the ‘give-up’ items and write a date at least two months out beside it.
We need to gear up for big changes. To get used to the view. We need to do some things that might help us not crave sugar. Are there vitamins and minerals that could help? I’ll find out and pass it on.
So today I'm going to choose a day--far out in the future (say about two months--right around April 1, which makes me kinda laugh, but that doesn’t mean this is a joke) that I'm going to give it up.
And each day that I eat sugar in the form of candy, candy bars, etc, I'll just tell myself that on April 1st, I'll give it up.
I'll still allow myself to have a baked dessert once a week (probably Sunday). Mainly because baked desserts don't have nearly the bad effect on me as the candied kinds.
Okay. Whew. Breathe a sigh of relief. I don't have to give it up today.
Neither do you.
But today you also need to set a date--as far out as you need to--and make it definite. And start telling yourself that you're giving it up on that day. And decide exactly what you're giving up and what you'll still allow yourself.
That way, it won't seem like such a deprivation. Because we don't want deprivation. We want success and vibrant health. And chocolate...but only until April 1st. If you choose.

© Copyright 2010 Heather Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment