February 1, 2010

BABY STEP 29 - Sweetening the pot (Jan 29)

“The reality is that there is epidemiological work done in children as well as adults that links obesity and Type 2 diabetes with the consumption of sodas.” (Dr. Sonia Caprio, Yale University professor of pediatric endocrinology)
Okay, I want us to try a simple experiment today. When you get your glass of water, pour anywhere from seven to thirteen teaspoons of sugar in it. If you have high-fructose corn syrup to add instead, all the better. Now take a sip.
Now why would I ask you to do this? Seems pretty silly, doesn’t it?
Because I want us to try a common sense experiment. A single 12-ounce can of soda contains between seven and thirteen teaspoons of sugar, usually in the form of high-fructose corn syrup.
So let’s stir in the sugar, take a sip, and see how much sugar we’ve been drinking in our soft drinks. (You may choose not to do this, but I’m going to just for the experiment part of it. I’m curious.)
I happen to be obese. (I hate that word! But it probably accurately and technically describes my body.) I also happen to have family who have Type 2 diabetes, the type you develop from lifetime of eating too much sugar.
I no longer choose to be obese.
I no longer choose to eat in a way that will trigger Type 2 diabetes.
I choose vibrant health.
This year, everything changes (but in tiny little baby steps that don’t frighten us).
So I’ll sweeten the pot (as it were). Can you ‘see’ yourself giving up soft drinks? If you can see it, it can happen. Let’s sweeten our lives with joy, no longer with high-fructose corn syrup.
But today, just taste the sugar water, and see if you think it would be better ifyou added a whole bunch of chemicals, some flavoring, some bubbles, and some phosphoric acid? No? Me, neither.

© Copyright 2010 Heather Horrocks

No comments:

Post a Comment