April 29, 2010

Baby Step 41 -- 20,000 Steps !!!

My husband and I went to Disneyland with our youngest son and also our oldest son, his wife, and their three adorable little girls. I knew that last time we'd gone, we walked enough that on the second and third day we had to tighten up the straps on our fanny pack (my husband's belt; he didn't wear a fanny pack) so I was curious to wear my new pedometer and see just how many steps we walked.

Holy guacamole!!! For me, it was 16,000 steps the first day and 20,000 the second! I was amazed. Six miles that second day.

And by the third day, as we drove back home, my calves were so tight and cramped that every time I climbed out of the car, my first 100 steps were mere painful hobbles.

That seems an amazing number. My current goal is to reach 5,000 steps each day, and often I reach as high as 8,000. And my ultimate goal is 10,000 steps a day.

While sitting in the waiting room of the VA hospital on Tuesday, before my father-in-law's post-surgery check-up (he's doing great), I read an article about Valerie Bertinelli, who is now looking fabulous -- and whose trainer often had her walking 20,000 steps a day!

Wow. I am impressed. I know that if I walked 20,000 each day, I'd look fabulous, too. Or my legs would fall off. One of the two.

How many steps have you walked today?

1 comment: